Welcome to the St. Croix County 4-H program! 4-H is open to youth in grades 1-13 (one year out of high school). While you can join 4-H anytime, most clubs reorganize in the fall so that's the very best time to join.
Your family will join a community 4-H club. All members and parents attend the monthly 4-H club meeting. That's where the business of the club is conducted...The members decide what community service projects to work on, they elect officers, decide on fundraising projects and plan social family events. Within the community club, members enroll in individual 4-H projects. First and second graders are Cloverbuds, third graders are Explorers. Both are projects where the members "explore" all sorts of subject matter (cooking, photography, arts/crafts, garden, nature activities, etc.) Cloverbuds are not eligible for animal projects. Explorers are allowed to participate in animal projects on a limited basis. Fourth graders and up enroll as traditional members meaning they can choose up to seven separate projects to enroll in. There are over 50 projects to choose from ranging from animals to rockets.
In addition to the monthly community club meetings there are project meetings that involve just the members of the club that enrolled in the same project. They meet with an adult volunteer to learn specific skills in that project. The number of project meetings tends to be seasonal depending on the subject matter. For example, photography members could meet through out the year, where as garden project members will meet more often in the spring and summer.
New members who join by March 1 are eligible to enroll in any project. They may also participate in the County Fair without restrictions if they have met all of the project guidelines. New members who join between March 2 and June 1 are eligible to enroll in non-animal projects.
So here are the steps to take to join 4-H.
- Select a club that works for your family. Click Club information to the left of this article to find out where the nearest club is to you.
- Contact the leader to check out the meeting day, time, and location. The information is also posted to the left when you look up the club.
- Go to the club's monthly meeting and let the general leader know you are there. They can be of great help getting started.
- Fill out the forms necessary to register for 4-H. All of the forms you will need are in the downloads area located here.
- 1st & 2nd Graders can only sign up for Cloverbuds project
- 3rd Graders can only sign up for the Exploring project
- 4th grade through 13th grade (one year out of school) can select any other projects. Suggestion is to select one or two projects. More can be selected if the youth and parents feel they can handle it (up to 7 max).
- Check on project leaders for the program. If the county or club doesn't have leaders, the parents and youth will need to work on the project.
More questions? Click the Contact Us at the top of the page to ask us questions. There you can either fill out a form and someone will get back to you or the phone number for UWEX office is posted.
Click Club Information in the navigation bar to learn about all of the 4-H clubs throughout St. Croix County and who to call for specific information about a particular club.
So how do you join? That's easy. Contact the St. Croix County UW-Extension Office by clicking on the Contact Us button in the navigation bar of this page. We will be happy to help you locate a club near you. Contact us today to get signed up for 4-H and Join the FUN!!!